Followers

Monday, September 15, 2008

Letting go of the perfect story...

I learned an important lesson today (and I'm sure if I think hard enough I'll find it's a life lesson too). I learned when rewriting I have to forget the perfect story I had in my mind before I wrote word one. You know... That explosion of excitement when you come up with a great idea and amazing characters and before you know it you're making millions like J.K. Rowling and signing book after book in great halls filled with readers who know your world better than you do? You know that perfect novel? I'm not dismissing this part of the process. Without it I don't think I'd write at all. It gets you motivated. Excited. But in rewriting I have found it can be detrimental.

I must remember to forget the perfect novel I had in my mind and deal with the story that is in front of me. Only then can I move forward. And I've realized this week that when I let go fully of my fantasy story and I see the actual story I wrote, my rewrite comes alive (and I even enjoy it!).

No comments: